This week is Gas Safety Week – an annual safety week to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances.
It is coordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas.
Why does Gas Safety Week exist?
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
CO is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly and without warning, as you cannot see it, taste it or smell it.
How can you help?
You can help your customers and local community to stay gas safe by making sure they’re aware of the following safety measures:
- Check their gas appliances every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Tenants should be aware that it’s their landlord’s responsibility to arrange this. A free email and/or text reminder can be set up at StayGasSafe.co.uk.
- Check their engineer is Gas Safe registered and qualified for the type of work they need doing. Let them know they can find this information on the Gas Safe Register website and the back of the Gas Safe ID card. When you go to your customer’s home, be proud to show them your card before they ask for it.
- Check for warning signs that could indicate their appliances are not working correctly. Signs may include lazy yellow/orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance, a pilot light that keeps going out and too much condensation in the room.
- Check they know the six main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm. Alarms should be marked EN50291 and display the British Standards Kitemark.
Follow our social media (search for HIP Magazine) this week for more top tips to pass on to your customers from apprentices and installers.
Plus, we have two £50 Amazon vouchers to give away EACH DAY Monday to Friday on our Instagram!